You will be required to present evidence of English Proficiency if:
- your primary or first language is not English, and
- you have had less than four years of full-time secondary school or post-secondary study, demonstrating satisfactory academic progress, in an English-language school system.
The University reserves the right to deny admission to you if you do not demonstrate satisfactory facility in English, regardless of academic qualifications.
- Francophone Canadian citizens educated in Canada will not be required to meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement.
- You will also be considered as having met the English Proficiency requirement if you completed the International Baccalaureate diploma where English was the language of instruction.
Acceptable English Proficiency Tests
|Advanced Level of the English Language Certificate Program (ELCP)||Successful completion of the University of Guelph’s Open Learning Advanced Level of the English Language Certificate Program (ELCP) (levels 9 and 10) is also considered an acceptable form of testing for English proficiency.|
|Cambridge English: C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency||Minimum overall score of 176 with no band less than 169.|
|Canadian Academic English (CAEL)||
Language Assessment Minimum overall band score of 70.
|Duolingo English Test||Minimum overall score of 110. Individual subscores may be considered.|
|International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS)||Minimum overall score of 6.5 with no band less than 6.|
|Pearson Test of English (PTE)||Minimum overall score of 60 with no score less than 60 in the individual components.|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)||
Integrated Admission Pathway (IAP)
Begin your University of Guelph degree while you study English! The Integrated Admission Pathway allows you to start taking university degree-credit courses and English language courses at the same time, all within a supported learning environment. This unique pathway provides a flexible option for guaranteed admission to the following degree programs at the University of Guelph:
- Bachelor of Arts, all regular and co-op programs
- Bachelor of Science, all regular and co-op program
- Bachelor of Commerce, Undeclared
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
- Bachelor of Bio-Resource Management, all regular and co-op programs
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Sciences, all regular and co-op programs
Learn more about IAP.