ICYMI: Science and Engineering Sunday
Over 2,000 future Gryphons and their families visited campus this Sunday to experience a taste of science, engineering, and computing at the University of Guelph! From tiny microbes to a high-performance race car, visitors got to check out our innovative areas of study that have made the U of G a global authority in these disciplines. In case you missed it, here’s what we saw and did on Science & Engineering Sunday!
Program Building Tours & Demonstrations
There’s no better way to find out what life is like in a program than to explore the facilities where students learn, work, and socialize – and that’s just what visitors got to do! From the Human Anatomy Lab to the Robotics Lab, future B.Sci/B.Eng/B.Comp Gryphons got to check out the learning spaces they’ll one day call their second home. Student ambassadors were also on board to answer questions, and show off their term projects. Finally, program-specific club showcases helped future Gryphons get a head start in figuring out extra-curricular opportunities for when they come to campus!
Student Services & Academic Resource Fair
The University Centre was buzzing all day during our Student Services & Academic Resource Fair. Students, faculty, and staff were there to answer questions about science and engineering-related programs, admissions, finances, housing, wellness, co-op, safety, and much more. Not only that, but future Gryphons were able to chat with Gryphons in their dream majors and find out what life is really like inside and outside the classroom.
Future Gryphons got a sneak peek of their future favourite hangout and study spots during our campus tours! These 1-hour walkthroughs took visitors to many key destinations like the University Centre, the Library, the Bullring, and a few landmarks. Tour Guides also shared about their own journeys as Gryphons!
Student ambassadors gave visitors a glimpse into their world – as well as a lot of room design inspiration – during residence drop-ins! All our residence halls – North, South, East, and Johnston Hall – opened their doors on Science & Engineering Sunday, allowing students to get a feel for the buildings and room types that suit them best.
U of G Admissions experts took over Rozanski Hall to give talks on the admissions process and requirements, finances, their personal journeys as a Gryphon, and more. This was also a great way for students to have their first “lecture hall” experience!
More Fun Stuff!
- In a not-so-average project showcase, B.Eng student teams shot hoops inside the Thornbrough Engineering Complex with small mechanical basketball players.
- The Gryphon Racing Team car made an appearance in Thornbrough, causing a big buzz among racing fans! The team designs, builds, and competes with a high performance race car every year.
- Visitors got to meet 30-hour old baby seahorses in the Freshwater & Marine Biology Aqualab! (Though, in actuality, at 30 hours they’re considered fully-developed!)
- If they were lucky, visitors may have caught a glimpse of our Gryph mascot! (If they were even luckier, they may have seen him busting a move with some of our student ambassadors!)
- Future Gryphons and their families were finally able to try our famous campus food and see why it’s consistently rated #1 in the country!