Deferring an offer of admission
Before Requesting a Deferral, Please Consider This:
If you choose to defer your offer of admission to Fall 2022, you will not have the option to enrol in any courses at the University of Guelph or any other post-secondary institution for the entire year (during the deferral period).
As an alternative, you may wish to consider studying part-time.
Interested in part-time studies?
Students have the option of taking a reduced course load, with the exception of Co-op students. If you enrol in fewer than 2.00 credits, you will automatically be considered a part-time student. (Note: most courses are 0.50 credits each.)
Before deciding to go part-time, we recommend you do the following:
- Speak with your Program Counsellor to learn how part-time studies could potentially impact your future course selections and future plans such as graduate or professional school.
- If you are receiving scholarships, bursaries, government aid (i.e., OSAP), or other funding, check with Student Financial Services about changes to eligibility.
- If you are an international student, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website and contact an International Student Advisor.
If you do not intend to register in courses for the 2021-2022 academic year, please see below for information on how to request a deferral.
If you have been admitted to the University of Guelph directly from high school and are unable to begin degree studies in the Fall, you may request to defer your offer of admission for one year. Please note that deferrals are usually considered for the Fall entry point only. Deferrals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
To be considered for a deferral you must:
- accept your offer of admission on OUAC by the June 1st deadline (or as otherwise instructed in your offer letter);
- meet all conditions outlined in your original offer of admission by the date specified in your offer letter;
- submit the deferral application form by July 30, 2021 (see below for details);
- not attend any other post-secondary institution during the deferral period. You may complete additional high school courses.
- You may only submit a deferral application for the program offer which you have accepted.
- Due to limited enrollment, Bachelor of Landscape Architecture students cannot defer an offer of admission.
- Due to limited space, transfer students cannot defer an offer of admission.
Residence and Scholarships
- If you are granted a deferral, your residence offer will also be deferred. You will need to submit a new residence application and deposit by the deadline specified for the following year. Additional questions can be directed to Student Housing Services at email@example.com or 519-824-4120 ext. 58701.
- Entrance scholarships and bursaries cannot be deferred.
- You will be considered for entrance scholarships available to all Semester One students entering Fall 2022. You are encouraged to follow the “Step-by-Step Entrance Award Instructions" located on Student Financial Services website.
- For questions about scholarships and bursaries, please contact Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please direct deferral inquiries to email@example.com.
- The deferral application is accessible through Web Advisor under the 'Student' menu. To access Web Advisor you will need your central login information that will be sent via e-mail from Enrolment Services once you have accepted your offer of admission.
- The deferral application must be submitted by July 30, 2021. Note: Normally, the University charges an $80 deferral fee. In light of COVID-related circumstances, we are waiving this fee for 2021.
- Deferral requests will be reviewed following the August 13 conditions deadline.
- Once your application has been considered we will communicate the decision to you via e-mail. You will receive your decision by September, 2021.
- Applicants who are granted a deferral will receive a new offer of admission by the following February, provided that all conditions of the offer are fulfilled.
- If you submit a deferral application and later choose to withdraw that application, please notify Admission Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, ON N1G 2W1