Funding Your Education (International Students)
We believe all qualified individuals should be able to attend university regardless of their financial status. Our innovative financial aid programs are specifically geared to ensuring an accessible, top-quality education for all students. From available scholarships in Canada to estimated expenses for international students and opportunities to make money while you are at the University of Guelph, here's how we help you fund your education.
In the 2021-22 school year, 8,170 students received $27.2 million CAD in awards, including $10.5 million CAD in need-based awards!
- International Entrance Scholarships: $17,500 - $20,500 CAD
- International students entering post-secondary studies at the University of Guelph for the first time and registering in the first semester of a degree program in the fall semester are eligible. No application is required.
- Quinn Memorial Scholarship: $2,000 CAD
Selection will be based on academic performance, letters of reference, and an assessment of the admission application package. No application is required.
- Hardy International Student Scholarship: $2,000 CAD
Selection is based on the assessment of the student's admission application and preference is given in the following order: students from Haiti; students from Africa; then any other international student. No application is required.
There are many opportunities to make money while you are at the University of Guelph. Here are some options:
- Co-operative Education: You will work full-time during your co-op work terms and can make $500 – $1,400 CAD per week depending on your job!
- Part-time Jobs: More than 4,000 on-campus jobs are available on a competitive basis. Work in one of the many campus eateries, in the athletics centre, or any of the retail locations on campus. There are many jobs available throughout the city, too. Guelph is big enough to offer lots of opportunities and small enough to get around easily! We know that part-time work is an important part of subsidizing the cost of your education.
- Work Study Program: Our Work Study program creates part-time employment on campus for hundreds of students who have financial need. International students may apply for Work Study funding in their 2nd year of university.
Estimated Expenses (Per Year)
Bachelor of Applied Science: $33,046 CAD
|Compulsory Fees||$1,517 - $1,675 CAD|
|Health Insurance||$756 CAD|
|Residence Room||$6,520 - $9,517 CAD|
|Full Meal Plan||$4,600 - $7,870 CAD|
|Personal Budget||$2,375 CAD|
$50,214 - $72,703 CAD
Tuition Deposit: To show your commitment to the University of Guelph we require a non-refundable tuition deposit of $1,000 CAD by the deadline of June 15, 2023. Please consult the preferred payment methods for paying your deposit.
Your Fees Guarantee: U of G guarantees that future tuition increases will not exceed 5% in all subsequent years.
Disclaimer: Students should also factor in travel costs, equipment fees, and personal living expenses. Housing and food costs will vary depending on lifestyle. If you are living in residence, meal plans are mandatory.
Fees are estimated based on the 2022/2023 academic year and are subject to change.
Co-op students pay an additional $300 CAD per semester for academic and work semesters.
In order to get a Study Permit/Visa, Immigration Canada will require that you have sufficient funds to pay for one full year of tuition fees and living expenses. If you have any questions about the financial commitments required by Immigration Canada to study in Canada, please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Payment plans – sometimes you encounter unexpected challenges. Talk to a financial counsellor about arranging a payment plan. When you arrive in Guelph, you can call 519-824-4120 x58715 to schedule an appointment.
- Chat with a UniBuddy - chat one-on-one with an international student and hear about their U of G experience first-hand.
- Contact our Student Financial Services Department.
- Book an appointment with a financial counselor. When you arrive in Guelph, you can call 519-824-4120 x58715 to schedule an appointment.
Previous Academic Leadership Entrance Scholarship Winners
"I love the University of Guelph's food and their wide variety of majors - specifically in the science program. I also really enjoy getting involved on campus with student learning groups, the student volunteer connections club, the geography society, and the environmental science club. One of my favourite things about Canada is the four seasons - which are a big change from the tropical climate I grew up in, but I absolutely love Fall! "
-Hoshika Sen Balloo
Bachelor of Science, environmental geomatics co-op
"I chose the U of G because of the beautiful green campus, the STEM community, and because it is one of Canada‘s leading innovation postsecondary institutions. Also, the Ontario Agricultural College is world-renowned for its research in food and agricultural science. I am currently involved in the Food Science Club where I have been participating in the ‘Hot sauce’ project and the student learning groups."
-Honisha Sen Balloo
Bachelor of Science, food science co-op