Program Spotlight: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

Posted on Friday, December 13th, 2019

Vet student with dog

If you have a passion for animal care and you want to make a career out of it, then the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) program here at U of G is a fantastic choice for you!

During the program you will study at the renowned Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) which is ranked 1st in Canada, 3rd in North America and 7th in the world! The Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Guelph is recognized and respected by veterinarians throughout the world.

The program involves a dynamic blend of science, technology and experience to ensure you will graduate well equipped to follow your passion and find your calling within Veterinary Medicine.

Applying for DVM

After completing two or more years of undergraduate study you can apply for the DVM program. As long as you complete the 8 prerequisite courses and meet the DVM admission requirements, you are able to study at any accredited university before joining the OVC.

Experience working with animals will help you a lot with your application interview, which determines 35% of your ranking. Your academic performance will determine the other 65%.

Check out the Future Students section of the Ontario Veterinary College website for a more in depth breakdown of the admission process.

OVC building

Career Opportunities

Once you have graduated from the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program, the career possibilities are abundant. Here are some examples:

Clinical Careers:

  • Companion Animal
  • Mixed Animal
  • Large Animal

Non-Clinical Careers:

  • Government
  • Industry
  • Research, Teaching and Academia

For more information on the program and the application process, visit the Ontario Veterinary College’s website!

News Archive

News Topics