Why come to Fall Preview Day?
You’ve probably heard a lot of talk about Fall Preview Day, which happens this year on Saturday, November 3rd, 2019. You may have even heard some Gryphons say that it was during Fall Preview Day that they realized they belonged at the U of G. But what exactly is Fall Preview Day and why should you take part? Let us fill you in and give you 7 great reasons you should attend!
First of all, what is Fall Preview Day?
Think of Fall Preview Day as a giant open-house day! Every November, the U of G welcomes prospective students and their families to come get a taste for academic and student life right here on our campus. From department tours to residence drop-ins to resource fairs, prospective students will learn everything there is to know about life as a Gryphon at the U of G!
Why Should You Attend?
Reason 1: Tour Our Beautiful Campus
If you haven’t joined us for a campus tour yet, Fall Preview Day is the perfect opportunity to do so! Let a Tour Guide show you around some campus hot spots and share about their Gryphon experiences in one of the many tours that will be taking place all day. The U of G really shines in the autumn, so come see our famously beautiful campus while it’s dressed in its fall colours!
Reason 2: Department Drop-Ins, Tours, and Showcases
- Guided Engineering Complex Tours: Current Engineering students will guide you through the newly renovated Engineering Complex on a 45 minute tour including a showcase of their student space.
- Lang Business Building Drop-In: Originally built in 1903, Macdonald Hall has been transformed into a state-of-the-art, modern learning complex for our business students. Come experience the transformation for yourself!
- Guided Studio Art Tours: Enjoy a 1 hour tour of historic Zavitz Hall, home to Guelph's Studio Art major that includes drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, print-making, extended media labs, and first year studio spaces. The brand new Digital Haptic Lab which showcases 3D printing will be included!
- Music Meet & Greet: Get to know our Music faculty and students during our informal Meet & Greet! Learn more about our Music major, music facilities, and rehearsal and performance opportunities!
- Guided Theatre Studies Tour: As part of this 45 minute guided tour, visit historic Massey Hall which is home to the Theatre department and see our preparations for the next main stage production!
- Science Drop-In Tours: Discover first-hand our science labs and state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities in the Summerlee Science Complex, MacNaughton Building, and the Bovey Greenhouse
- Landscape Architecture Studio Drop-in: Drop-in and see the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture studio space, and talk with current students about their design projects.
Reason 3: Drop-In Residence Rooms
Take a peek at what life is like in residence! Visit each of our 4 residence areas and let volunteers show you around to a few different rooms/suites. Get a feel for which buildings and room styles you’d enjoy and start dreaming up dorm decor ideas!
Reason 4: Attend Information Sessions
Fall Preview Day is your chance to meet students, professors, and staff from all our degree programs in one place and ask them all your burning questions. Want to know about courses, experiential learning opportunities, workloads, student resources, program societies, and more? Get all the answers in Information Sessions!
Reason 5: Student Services & Academic Resource Fair
Wondering about financial aid and scholarships? Itching for info about joining our Guelph Gryphons athletics team? Want to know about the health and wellness services on campus? Look no further than our Student Services & Academic Resource Fair! Representatives will be there to fill you in on all the services and resources on campus, including:
- Co-op and Experiential Learning
- Student Housing
- Hospitality Services
- Student Wellness
- Admission Services
- Student Financial Services
- Student Wellness
- Student Accessibility Services
Reason 6: More Fun Stuff!
- There’s always lots of mini-events and demonstrations to check out on campus, and Fall Preview Day is no exception. Expect to see fun examples of student life as you’re making your way from activity to activity!
- Come listen to our Jazz Trio, all current UofG Music students, perform live in the Bullring Cafe. Stay for 5 minutes or for the full hour!
- Grab a bite to eat and put our campus food to the test! (Not to brag, but our food is consistently rated the best in the country.) You may even be lucky enough to spot the Gryph ‘N’ Grille – our campus’s very own food truck!
- Check out some campus photo hot spots! At certain famous U of G landmarks, you may see a large sticker with a phone icon nearby. That’s your cue to strike a pose and get an Insta-worthy shot of your day. If you upload it to social media, make sure to hashtag it #FutureGryphon so we can see!
Last But Not Least - Reason 7: Get A Feel For What Makes the U of G “Home”
We could tell you about all the reasons why our students are among Canada's most satisfied – but we think you’d much rather enjoy seeing it for yourself!
There’s no better way to assess one of your university options than to visit the campus, speak to students, and get a real feel for what the school culture is like. We hope you visit us on Fall Preview Day and experience the Gryphon spirit at the U of G for yourself!
We are! To view the day schedule and to RSVP, visit the FPD web page. Not all activities run all day, so make sure you consult the day schedule so you don’t miss out of anything!
While you’re waiting for November 3rd to get here, check out the following video of last year’s Fall Preview Day!