News Banner

Johnston Hall

ICYMI: International Snapchat Chat

Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 16:42

We hosted our first ever International Snapchat Chat this week so that our International Applicants could ask questions about admission to the University of Guelph. Don’t worry if you couldn’t tune in because we’re recapping the top questions and answers right now!

Q: How do I check my application status?

A: Please log into your Web Advisor account to check the status of your application.


Q: How long will it take for my application to be processed?

A: Anticipate 3-6 weeks for processing once you have submitted your final documents.


Q: I’m a Canadian citizen but not a Canadian resident, what fees will I pay?

A: All Canadian citizens pay domestic fees regardless of where they currently attend school.


Q: I’m a Canadian resident but not a Canadian citizen, what fees will I pay?

A: If you are not a Canadian citizen you will pay international fees, UNLESS you get permanent residency.


Q: I have dual citizenship between Canada and another country. Will I pay domestic or international fees?

A: If you apply as a domestic student, you pay domestic fees. If you apply as an international student, you pay international fees.


Q: How can I change the program I applied to?

A: You can make amendments to your application on the OUAC website.


Q: What are the application deadlines for International Students?

A: To be eligible for early consideration you must apply by January 15, 2018 and submit all supplementary documents by February 1, 2018. For regular consideration you must apply by the February 15, 2018 deadline and have all supplementary documents submitted by March 1, 2018.


Q:  Are letters of recommendation required for my application?

A: Letters of recommendation are not a part of the undergraduate application process. We do recommend that all applicants fill out our Student Profile Form (SPF) which is available on our website.


Q: How does the U of G help me prepare for finding a job?

A: We offer a co-op option for many of our undergraduate programs and there are many opportunities available for experiential learning in all of our programs. Getting experience in your field while going to school will be very helpful during your job search after graduation!


Q: I go to a French high school and my transcript will be in French. Do I need to translate this before applying?

A: There is no need to translate or convert your transcript before applying to the U of G.


Q: Do all international applicants get a spot in residence?

A: Residence is guaranteed for all semester one students as long as you’ve applied and paid the $750 deposit by the June 1st, 2018 deadline.


Q: What resources do you have for international students to meet other students and become familiar with the university before move-in?

A:  We have many supports available to make your transition to a Gryphon as easy as possible. START International is a 3 day orientation designed to introduce our international students to each other and to help familiarize you with the campus, our social and academic supports and with the city of Guelph.  


Q: What are the grade requirements for an entrance scholarship for IB students?

A: Aim for a 35 overall.


Q: What do I do if I don’t get my study permit on time?

A: Unfortunately the only thing you can do in this situation is submit a request to defer your offer to the following semester.


There you have it #FutureGryphons, answers to the most common questions we receive from our international applicants. Add uofgadmission on Snapchat so you can participate in future chats and get your admission-related questions answered. Remember, you can also send us your questions on Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at any time!

Follow Us

Instagram logo snapchat logo


University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1