Welcome to the uniquely supportive and caring community that is the University of Guelph. Your place is here - you can feel it from your very first day on campus. Before you unpack you bags, you'll be embraced by our spirit of warmth comfort and respect.
Life in Residence
For many, living on campus is an essential part of the U of G experience. Residence is where campus comes to life. Enjoy your new independence in a community with other new students who are making the most of their first year at university. Meet others from all over Ontario, Canada and the world who share your interests.
Each residence building has its own unique features, history and traditions, but they all have the standard comforts of home in common. You will find community spaces for socializing or gathering to watch a favourite TV show, and quiet areas for studying. Easy access to laundry facilities, kitchenettes and proximity to a variety of campus eateries means you're never far from what you need. With high speed internet access in every room, and wireless hotspots, it's easy to stay connected. To check out floor plans or the Photo Gallery visit the Housing website .
Living-Learning Centres (LLCs)
Living Learning Centres (LLCs) are living environments made up of students in different academic years and programs with one thing in common - a desire to 'live the theme' of their LLC. The seven LLCs are:
- Arts House: Expand your creative interests.
- La Maison Française: Immerse yourself in French language and Francophone culture.
- International House: Live with Canadian and international students, share global cultures, languages and politics - truly cross-cultural living.
- Eco House: Engage in a lifestyle that's dedicated to the environment.
- Innovation House: Explore your entrepreneurial side with students in a wide cross-section of academic programs.
- Design House: Explore common threads of Engineering, Landscape Architecture and Studio Art in this creative community. Open to anyone interested in design concepts.
- Leadership House: Intensify your residence experience by living with other students who want to be involved and who actively volunteer and are engaged.
Academic Clusters are small groups of first-year students in the same academic program who share classes, living space and friendships.
Academic clusters are available for:
- Applied Science
- Arts & Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Physical Sciences
Themed Learning Communities (TLCs)
TLCs are unique areas in residence where students have elected to live with like-minded individuals, to create a supportive and inspiring residence environment. TLCs include:
- Study Intensive Areas: Live with other students who respect your desire for quieter study time within residence.
- Alcohol Free: For like-minded students who prefer an alcohol-free environment with other students.
You must have questions...
What Residence is the best?
If you ask any University of Guelph student "What is the best residence to live in?" You’d get the same answer – mine is! Your residence experience is about the friends you will make, the fun you will have and the academic success that you will achieve.
Will I Get My Own Room?
Your residence preferences are carefully considered during the room assignment process. Single rooms are available to new first-year students, particularly in South and East Residences. Your residence application will give you the opportunity to apply for several different buildings and room types and we will do our best to meet your preferences. If you have a special need for a particular room type or location due to unique circumstances, you can let us know about your needs when you apply. Be sure to read the special consideration information in your residence application information.
How Much Does It Cost?
Accommodation costs for 2018-2019 for most first-year students is approximately $3,000 per semester (double room). This cost does not include a meal plan, and is dependent on the residence and room type assigned. New Fall 2019/Winter 2020 fees will be posted on the Student Housing website's Residence Contract under 'Fees and Charges' once pproved.
How Do I Apply?
Applications to residence are made online. Applications and a $750 residence deposit must be submitted by the deadline posted in the Offer of Admission in order to be guaranteed a space in residence. Our Residence Admissions office will be happy to provide additional assistance.
Can I See The Residence Rooms?
Sure you can! You are encouraged to take a campus tour where you will be introduced to many of our on-campus residences. If you are not able to make it to campus the Student Housing Services website contains a comprehensive photo gallery of all the on-campus residences. In addition, the site is a great resource for information about applying to residence, deadlines, the latest news and more.
- Over 5,000 students in our single and family residences - U of G has one of the largest and best established university housing systems in Canada.
- Lounges in residence are great for socializing or gathering to watch your favourite TV show
- There are quiet study areas and group study facilities
- Easy access to laundry facilities, kitchenettes and a variety of campus eateries
- ResNet WiFi is available in every room and university wireless internet coverage exists across campus.