Admission-related FAQs during the COVID-19 pandemic

COVID-19-related FAQs

We've answered your COVID-19-related questions below and update this regularly. We also have an International FAQ page outlining COVID-19 information for our international applicants.

General COVID-19-related information can be found at the University of Guelph's COVID-19 site.

The University of Guelph continues to prioritize physical distancing. If you don’t need to be on campus, please stay home to help keep our community safe. Staff, faculty and graduate students able to work from home will continue to do so. For more information please visit the University of Guelph's COVID-19 site

We Turn Virtual Into Virtually Amazing

We don't know what the future holds, but we do know that we will always put your well-being first while continuing to support your Gryphon experience. Here are the answers to some COVID-related FAQs.

Tours and Events

Q: How can I see and learn more about the University of Guelph?

A: We will be offering virtual tours and open houses, webinars and one-on-one meetings with a U of G rep. Please visit our events page to see what is currently available! And follow UofGAdmission on social media for up-to-date information and your window into what it's like to be a Gryphon. 

Q: Can I come to campus?

A: The U of G campus is closed but there are so many ways to visit us virtually!

Q: Are campus tours cancelled? Until when? 

A: Yes, all campus tours are currently cancelled. Please visit the tours website page, for information on how to visit us virtually.

Q: How can I see residence while the University is physically closed? 

A: Student Housing has floorplans, photos 360° views and YouTube videos of many of the residence buildings and room types. Visit to see all of these! 

Q: Do you have a virtual tour available online? 

A: We have a Visit U of G Virtually page where you can find all sorts of ways to see and learn about the University of Guelph, including videos. 


Student Experience, Athletics and Clubs

Q: How are clubs and activities affected by COVID-19?

A: Clubs and activities are a go! Whether you're connecting with your academic club or want to meet with others who share a similar interest, there will be events happening through Microsoft Teams, and you'll find that many groups will use the virtual platform that best suits the activity, from Zoom to Google Meet, and Discord. Please visit the Student Experience website for more information. 

Q: How is Athletics affected by COVID-19?

A: Please visit the Guelph Gryphons website for everything you need to know about how COVID-19 is affecting the Department of Athletics.

Q: Where can we get the most up-to-date information about what classes, services and activities will look like in the "new normal"?

A: Continue to check out the Virtual Campus website for how we'll turn virtually into virtually amazing!


Residence and Hospitality Services

Q: How is residence affected by COVID-19?

A: Living in residence during first year is a common part of the university experience, but we know that reducing in-person interaction and use of common spaces is essential to preventing the spread of the virus. We continue to consult with the Public Health unit to ensure that we are in compliance with regulatory requirements and best practices to protect our students. 

Please visit the Student Housing Services website for the most accurate residence information. 

Q: How has Hospitality Services changed in light of COVID-19?

A: We are known for our campus food so one of the things we look forward to most is the opportunity for you to love it as much as we do! Safe food handling will always be our priority. As we follow health guidelines, we'll continue to sanitize and accept cashless payment. Limited access t dining facilities and limited seating will ensure physical distancing as necessary. You'll also be able to order our amazing food with a new online app! 

Visit the Hospitality website for more details. 



Q: What does virtual learning look like?

A: The University of Guelph has developed innovative and engaging ways to support teaching and learning during the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes delivering courses in alternative formats through various online platforms. Some courses involve synchronous learning, where students and instructors interact through a specific online medium at a specific time, and asynchronous learning, where interaction happens based on your schedule. 

Q: Can I still enrol in co-op during the COVID-19 pandemic?

A: We are prepared to continue offering co-op and experiential learning opportunities in a virtual environment. Depending on the type of employment, co-op jobs may be at the company location or you may be working from home. Job interviews will be done online, and workshops, job fairs and the co-op preparation course, COOP 1100, may be delivered virtually. 

Q: How is international learning impacted by COVID-19?

A: We're working with professors and our 110 partner universities to develop virtual exchanges. You may take part in online group work with students outside Canada, or listen to a lecture from a professor at one of our partner institutions. Whatever form it takes, we are working on connecting U of G students with other university students all around the world who are also learning virtually.